Here are a bunch of development sketches I'm doing to create a new character for class... He is a cartoony hipster version of the creature from the black lagoon.
As I continue to develop the look, and narrow down the style, I'll keep updating this post.
First, some light research to get me thinking about "hipster" stereotypes...
Next I do a couple of paintings to learn how I might want the character to look, I like to start with the face.
Next, I start doing some gestural sketches of the body to explore different proportions.
"paper doll" sketches for quick costume exploration...
After I have some ideas about the costume, I try to start thinking about the style. These are the first steps toward finalizing the look of the character before moving on to creating a maquette and finishing the design in the round.
This is one of the projects from my recent Zbrush workshops class. I wanted to create a pirate character, and during my initial research, I came across images of modern Somali pirates. I thought it would be interested to create a pirate based on some of those guys.
Click the image below to launch the verold interactive 3D viewer and see where we ended up.
Here is an image of what the texture set looked like...
And here is an image of what the model looked like.
Overall, it was a fun project, and I hope the people in the workshop learned a little. Below are some images that show some of the steps we took during the course:
I had the pleasure of working on Turbo as a modeler and got the chance to try my first bit of Vis-Dev for Dreamworks doing some graffiti art for the film. I worked with some great people on this movie, learned a TON, and made some good friends.
This is the house where Turbo lives and works. The model was later updated and changed by other artists, but what you see here is the version I had the pleasure of working on. Each piece of geometry in things like the roof tiles and wall slats was unique in order to be able to accept a different material and/or texture. Finding the right level of stylization with which to infuse the model was challenging, but I love where we landed. It was a fun model to make.
This is a busted up car in the garage of the house. The design was based on an old Alpha Romeo Spider, tweaked to pull it in to the shape language of the world described in the film. Projects like these are the most fun to model because you have to figure out just how far to push the style.
In one sequence, the snails are brought in to a garage and they race on a makeshift track, cobbled together by the people who work in a strip mall. This was a really fun model to work on because of all the little details and figuring out what the track was actually made of.
This was a work in progress version of a character that got cut from the film. Originally she was slated to be the niece of the chairman of Nascar who happened to be infatuated with Snails.
Probably the most fun thing I had a chance to work on was this graffiti . It was used all over the film in the background on walls, bridges, and the LA River. Graffiti was the first art form I fell in love with as a little kid growing up in New York, and it was great to be able to create digital versions for a feature film. These are all photoshop (except the concrete background, that's a photo :-)
I'll add more Turbo stuff later, but these are the things I had the most fun working on, so I figured they should be posted first.
This is an older monster I'm dusting off to donate to the Bad King monster brush pack. Bad King is an Australian artist who has put together some great resources for the zbrush community. If you have not checked out his site, and you like Zbrush, then do yourself a favor and click this link now!
Another pass at one of the gramps sketches. Itching to get back to the sculpture now. The music is again by Ms. Lauren Hill from her unplugged CD. Don't bootleg it, buy it. It's too good not to have IMHO.
So, this semester we had three character assignments. The first was a video game character (see last post). The second was a cartoon character (see two posts ago) and the third is a visual effects character. This is my visual effects character sculpt.
The idea with all three characters is you're not making the production model, but instead making concept art which drive the look of the production model in 3D.
I started adding some simple polypainting in Zbrush. Rather than make a new post, I'll just update this one. Click the image below for larger view.